Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cloth Diapers for Earth Day

I thought that since I gave this big long speech about how I love cloth diapers about a month before our daughter was born that perhaps I should update on how it is going in real life.

I will not lie: disposable diapers are easier. But let me tell you this. Cloth diaps are about a thousand times less disgusting. How can this be, you ask. Be forewarned--this answer is not for the faint of heart.

Imagine a bag full of disposable diapers. Imagine that you are a normal human and the bag is pretty full. Imagine that it is garbage day. If you have not ever emptied the diaper pail of a heaving bag of disposables, you cannot imagine the stench you are in for. It is just inhumane. And why wouldn't it be? There's probably a couple dozen diaps in there after all.

Cloth diapers are different for a couple of reasons. We use these flushable liners that allow us to flush the solid stuff away--ingenious if you ask me. So all that ends up in the pail is wetness. And you can buy as many diapers as you want, but with the 24 that we have, there is no week-long build up, because after a day and a half, not only is the pail pretty full, we are nearly out of clean diapers! Yes, it is stinky, but it's nothing in comparison. And I said that they are less easy than disposables, but not by much.

Oh--and there's also the blowout situation. I can't tell you how many times a disposable dipaer let me down with our son. Is there any worse laundry-related endeavor than scrubbing out the poo-poos? My answer will always be NO WAY! We have had zero poopy blowouts with cloth diapers, and the wet leaks have been minimal.

So if you are expecting a baby and have been considering cloth, absolutely go for it, friend! It feels so good to wash diapers and know that at least these won't be sitting in a landfill (or festering in the diaper pail till trash day). It feels even better not to thump that big stinky bag out to the curb!

5 comments:

Cherry Lane Jane said...

It's great to hear it from a mom who uses them! My mother used them for all 7 of us and she also lives by them. I hope you inspire more to make the change:)

Hugs,Liz:)

Cherry Lane Jane said...

hey can you add the "follow" button to your blog so I can more easily follow you from my blog? It is a blogspot feature.

Thanks,Liz

SeatOfMyPants said...

Hey Liz, I hope so too! They're so much easier and less gross than I thought they'd be.

I will find the follow button! :)

Rachel said...

What type of cloth diapers do you recommend? I plan on using them whenever we have baby #2!

SeatOfMyPants said...

Rachel--we are using prefolds, which only means they are extra thick in the middle so there's less folding for me to do.

I also use a flushable insert--you can get them from Walmart.com (though I generally do not promote Walmart, they are cheaper there than anywhere I've seen).

Over all of that, we put a Snappi (I've seen them new on Ebay) and a cover. There are bunches to choose from--we use Thirsties, and they are amazing.

I got all of the supplies (except for the inserts) through monkeytoediapers.com. Very good stuff, and quick delivery.