Sunday, July 13, 2008

Open House

Yesterday, I held my very first Seat Of My Pants Open House.  I'd say about 20 people came, which is about what I was expecting (you know, because of that old saying: 1/3 of the people you invite will show up).  It was blazing hot of course, about 90 out, but it seemed like my guests had a nice time.

I made zipper pulls as a thanks for coming gift, and gave away pocket mirrors as a thanks for purchasing gift.  (ChristineRenee's Etsy shop is full of great stuff like that.)  And for fall hostesses, I have a really sweet thank you gift that includes a zippy pouch, a mirror, lotion, and lip balm--all Etsy artists--as well as a coupon for 10% of their party total off their purchase.  (Ivaart makes the lip balm, and StinkyDs makes the lotion--both are phenomenal!)

One thing I was extremely pleased about was the number of already-made items I was able to sell.  I love custom work--I always learn something new when I do it--but I am really kind of running out of time to make stuff this summer!  Not complaining--just stating the facts!  It was also really reassuring to see some of my creations find homes.  It made me think that maybe my taste in fabrics is not as strange as I was starting to think it must be!  Yippee!

Speaking of running low on time: today is the first day of my MFA Summer Residency at Ashland University.  8 a.m. to 8 p.m. for 2 weeks.  It's sort of like a vacation... sort of!  It'll be challenging because I am not in the school mindset yet!  But it will also be really good to get into that mindset once again.


1 comment:

Thoughts From Jeff said...

hey there, i was hitting wooster blogs today and you came up.

didn't surf content much - only hitting one or two posts.

hopefully, my wife does not find your site or she may buy too many bags - she loves her bags

come xmas time, i may come find a bag

have a good day